Thursday, December 29, 2011

Electrical Work

Planning on changing or upgrading the electrical work in your home?

When do I need a Permit?
Electrical permits are needed when installing or altering electrical service, wiring, or circuits in existing buildings. Examples include but are not limited to:
  • Installing a new or temporary service
  • Modifying existing service or circuits
  • Relocating an electric water heater, furnace, or other electrical appliance
  • An electrical plan may also need to be reviewed

Electrical permits are NOT required in the following cases:
  • Appliance replacement without modification to electrical circuits, such as dishwashers
  • Appliances connected to outlets with a plug
  • Repair or replacement of motors, transformers, appliances, recessed or other light fixtures, switches, or control devices of the same type and rating in the same location
  • Taping joints
  • Removal of electrical wiring

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Load Bearing Wall?

Simple projects do not require permits, but what about cutting a hole in the wall to make a pass through to the kitchen or living room or to change the existing space? That depends.

Can you be sure that the area you are planning to cut has no wires running through it? Slicing through your own phone, internet, or power cords sure would make your face red and be inconvenient!

Also, is the wall load bearing? What's a load bearing wall, anyhow? We asked the Natural Handyman, who had much to say on load bearing walls, and why doing anything to them is going to give rise to the need for a permit.

Look at the structure of the house and ask the following questions:
  1. Is there a significant load above, such a built-up (multi-board) carrying beam or another wall? Is there a full floor above it, or just an empty attic?
  2. If you can view the joists in the attic, is the wall parallel or perpendicular to them? Generally, load bearing walls are perpendicular to the joists they support. If two separate floor joists or ceiling joists intersect over a wall, that wall should be considered load bearing.
  3. Is it an outside wall? You should consider all outside walls load bearing. If the house has been remodeled, a former outside wall could now be an inside wall. Examine the foundation to find these "stealth" outside walls.
  4. Look at the beams and posts in the basement. In multi-floor dwellings, posts and beams in the basement indicate bearing walls above them, even up two floors. Be aware that these multi-floor bearing walls may not be directly above each other.
  5. In complex, large homes, the basement can be a jungle of carrying beams and posts, crisscrossed and interlocked. Careful inspection is necessary to determine how this maze of beams supports the house, and its effect on the walls above.
If you have any doubts about the strength or loading status of the wall, GET PROFESSIONAL ASSISTANCE! You may even be able to get your local town building inspector to stop by and take a look around!

Friday, December 16, 2011

Thinking of skipping the permit?

What happens if you don't get a permit?

If a permit, when needed, is not obtained before construction, you have violated city codes and regulations; you'll be subject to fines and penalties. You'll be required to obtain permits for the work and it must pass inspection, or you'll have to return the structure or site to its original condition.

Remember... construction codes were created for safety reasons. Work built without a permit can be unsafe, no matter how good it looks.

Friday, December 9, 2011

Using a Contractor

From last week's blog, you learned that many things around your home require a permit. If you hare having a contractor do the work, we suggest you contact them prior to work beginning with a few permitting questions. A knowledgable contractor will have the answers for you, and will see you as an informed consumer for asking.

We and Florida Impact recommends you ask the following:
  • Will all the work be done with a permit?
  • How much does the contractor charge for permitting?
  • Is that cost inclusive of the city/county permits or is there an additional charge?
  • Verify that the name of the contractor you hired is the same as the contractor named on the permit. Generally, the paperwork needs to be left near the work being done and you can check there.
  • When the installation is completed, will the contractor will schedule the final permit inspection with the city?

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Do I Need a Permit?

The construction process can be confusing for people who do not use it everyday. Experts like Your Permit Solution helps you figure it out in simple everyday terms. You may not have even heard of a permit until your contractor included it in his fee.

The purpose of a permit is to ensure that work is done "up to code", which, to further complicate things, varies by county and state. This means that the work that is done on your property meets the most current and specific guidelines of its kind in your area. So what work requires permits?

In the Herald Times Online, Monroe County Building Department, Building Commissioner Jim Gerstbauer says:
Any construction activity that includes new space, or changes the use of existing space, requires a permit.
That means a permit is necessary for any new house construction, any additions that enlarge the square footage of a house, any modifications that require changing headers, beams or walls, and any remodeling which changes the use of that space within existing building (converting an unfinished basement to a family room, for instance). No permit is needed to replace drywall, cabinets, and other non-structural fixtures.
The guideline is “like into like.”
“If you’re replacing like with like, generally we don’t get involved,” Gerstbauer pointed out. Therefore, it’s usually fine to replace old roof shingles, or install new windows or new siding, without a permit.
But if you’re altering a room in such a way that occupants will use the space in a completely different manner than before, it requires a permit. For instance, converting an unfinished garage to finished living space would require a permit; as would adding an all-new bathroom where none existed previously. This is because the new elements are unlike the original elements.
Some changes are too small to merit permits.
“Changing electric receptacles, adding ceiling fans, or adding a plug, we have no problem with people doing that,” Gerstbauer continued. “We don’t want to get involved with every maintenance aspect of every house.”
If you're not sure, it is best to call us and find out. We know the most current laws for your area and can advise you. As contractors say, it is always better to "measure twice and cut once" to avoid fees or penalties for work done without a permit.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tree Trimming & Removal

When you remove or trim a tree in Miami-Dade county. You need a permit. Did you know that? If you don't have the proper permits, you can face penalties. We can help you through the process with answers to such questions as:
  • Which cities require a permit?
  • What are the requirements for a permit?
  • How much will it cost?
  • How do I replace the canopy? And, what's a canopy?
  • Could my tree or property be exempt?

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Safe Home Buying

Buying a property? Check for work that has been done without a permit. Bringing these items up to code can be costly, but the worry of navigating that system can be offset by using a permitting service like Your Permit Solution.

The following common alterations or improvements require a building permit:

  • Making a structural addition

  • Installing a new roof

  • Blocking off or adding a door or window

  • Adding or relocating electrical outlets

  • Adding or relocating plumbing fixtures (sinks, toilets, showers)

  • Converting a garage or storage area to an air conditioned occupied space

  • Installing or replacing an air conditioning system

Source: Real Estate Inspections

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Deck Permits

Adding a deck to your backyard can add value to your home and provide endless days of backyard fun and barbecuing! Before you get started, take a look at the permit requirements!

Firstly, a building permit is required. The cost of the permit is based on the value of the project at hand. You'll also have to provide a deck plan which displays the following information:

A. Size and depth of footing
B. Type of footing forms
C. Size and spacing of posts
D. Type of lumber
E. Size of beams
F. Size and spacing of joists
G. Type of floor boards
H. Height of deck off of the ground
I. Height and design of guardrail
J. Size of the deck
K. Distance to property lines
L. Plans should be drawn on an 8 1/2 x 11 OR 11 x 17 piece of paper

You must also adhere to a number of rules and guidelines. Below is a sample of those rules to give you an idea:

A. Footings must be at least 42" deep, 8" in diameter. Footing forms must be cardboard tubes.
B. Deck footings are subject to frost heave. Deeper and wider footings will help to prevent this.
C. All wooden members of the deck must be treated or must be rot resistant.
D. Posts must be anchored to prevent movement.
E. Beam end joints and splices must be made over posts. Beams bolted to posts must have at least two 1/2" carriage bolts staggered on each post.
F. Guardrail decks most than 30" off of the ground require a guardrail of at least 36" in height so that a 4" object cannot pass through.
G. The maximum rise on the stairs is 7 3/4". Maximum opening in risers is 4".
H. Continuous handrails are required for four or more stair risers.
I. Deck must be completed within six months of permit issuance.

For more information on deck permits and their requirements, contact us at Your Permit Solution!

Source: Woodbury, MN

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Commercial Sign Permits

Stop! Before you put up that commercial sign, you need to secure a permit! In addition to a permit application, the following items must be included before you hang or erect a commercial sign.

 For wall signs:
-An illustration of the building on which the sign will be attached, as well as the sign's dimensions. For individually leased tenant spaces, the wall size is determined by the height and width of the wall for that specific lease space.
-An illustration of the sign and its dimensions. Be sure to include a cross-sectional illustration of the mounting and depth.
-Materials to be used.

For freestanding signs:
-An illustration of the sign and its dimensions.
-An illustration and dimensions of the sign's footings.
-A site plan illustrating the location and setback of the sign.

Include all of these items with your permit application and you're well on your way to getting that sign up! For more information, contact us at Your Permit Solution!

Source: Woodbury, MN

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Siding Permit Requirements

Replacing the siding on your home will always require a permit. In addition to a completed permit application, there are several requirements involved with replacing siding. The comprehensive list below includes those requirements:

• Kick-out flashing/diverters are required at all roof/wall intersections.

• When siding is removed, a sheathing inspection is required to determine the condition of the sheathing and the locations of mechanical intake and exhaust vents.

• Remove all rotted sheathing,framing and insulation. An inspection is required for framing repairs.

• An inspection is required for the weather resistive barrier/house wrap. House wrap shall be installed shingle fashion. Vertical laps shall be at least 6 inches. Horizontal laps shall be at least 2 inches. House wrap needs to be lapped over shingle tins, drip caps, and other horizontal flashing.

• Fan fold foam insulation is not allowed as a substitute for a weather resistive barrier/house wrap.

• Flashing shall be installed to prevent water from entering building.

• Flashing is required at all window and door openings, mechanical openings, horizontally at masonry and stone, all wood and metal trim, deck and porch ledgers, and at all roof/wall intersections.

• In addition, all doors and windows require drip caps.

• Mechanical intake and exhaust vents shall not be altered or replaced unless the new vents meet code requirements.

• A final inspection is required on all siding projects.

For more information on this and any other permits, contact Your Permit Solution!

Source: Woodbury, MN

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Septic System Abandonment Permit Requirements

Before your septic system is abandoned, a permit must be acquired and the following information must be submitted to the city:

1. A completed application page.

2. A copy of the plot plan or survey. The location of the existing house and septic system must be shown on the plot plan.

3. Once the septic system has been abandoned, a pump out certificate must be provided in order to receive final approval.

The following information must also be provided:

-Property ID#
-Property Size
-Water Supply Information
-Sewer Availability
-Property Address
-Directions to Address
-Building Information (residential or commercial)
-Type of Establishment
-No. Bedrooms
-Building Area (Sq. footage)
-Business Activity

For more information on Septic System Abandonment Permites, contact us at Your Permit Solution!

Source: FloridaDepartmentofHealth 

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Permit Horror Story!

Securing a permit before any project your begin on your home is extremely important. Check out this story about a man who decided to begin constructing a workshop in his yard without researching and securing the proper permit.

The Problem

"John Thomas (not the real name) purchased a home. Several months after moving in, he decided he wanted a workshop out back where he could pursue his hobby of building furniture. John started building a 20- by 30-foot workshop and had completed it within a couple of months.
Shortly afterward, John received a letter stating that he had built his shop without getting a review of the building plans by the neighborhood association. The letter further stated that his building was not suitable and was to be torn down. John was upset but just ignored the letter, thinking it was the work of a few disgruntled neighbors. Later John received a legal summons and complaint served by the sheriff's department. John would now have to go to court to explain and argue his case.
John showed up in court and pleaded his case to the judge. The judge was polite but read John the specific language in the restrictions that prohibited John from building a workshop without the written consent and approval of the association. John's workshop did not blend in with the homes. The judge ordered John to tear down his workshop.
This was a very costly lesson for John. The workshop had cost him thousands of dollars and he would now need to store his expensive power tools and go back to the committee for approval for another, more pleasing workshop. His entire family now harbors bad feelings for the neighborhood association and they are considering moving simply because John was not aware of the neighborhood restrictions."

Lesson Learned

"John should have had his agent or lawyer obtain a complete set of restrictions and covenants for the subdivision and he should have read them very carefully. If he had done so, he would have known that he needed to take his building plans to the neighborhood committee for review. If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, get approval in writing and follow your plans to the letter. While they may be inconvenient at times, neighborhood restrictions are actually a good thing because they help preserve the value of homes in the neighborhood. Don't become a John Thomas. Research and review your restrictions and make sure to get a building permit once the board approves your plans."

Before you being a project, contact us at Your Permit Solution to secure the necessary permits and avoid the situation John found himself in.  

Sunday, September 25, 2011

We've been spotted!

We've been spotted out and about! Have you spotted Your Permit Solution anywhere? Send us a picture!

Remember, for all of your permitting needs, contact us as Your Permit Solution!

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Low Voltage Permit

 When do I need a Low Voltage Permit?

Low voltage electrical permits are needed when installing low voltage wiring in pre-existing buildings. Some examples include:

  • Security Systems
  • Data and telecommunication wiring
  • Media Rooms
  • Low Voltage Lighting

Low voltage electrical permits are not required under the following circumstances:

  • Telecommunications and data wiring in a single-family dwelling or within one unit of a multi-family dwelling
  • Systems connected to an outlet by a plug
  • Installing a new phone
Remember, any work done done without a permit is subject to review and violations can be fined.

For more information visit our website!

Source: MyBuildingPermit

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Swimming Pool Permit

Adding a swimming pool to your backyard can be a great investment and mean years of fun for you and your family! Before you begin, you must look into the permit requirements! 

A building permit in the following instances:
  • To build a new swimming pool or pool barrier.
  • To rebuild a barrier surrounding your pool, spa, or hot tub.
  • To address issues identified in a Swimming Pool Barrier Correction Notice issued by a County Building Inspector.
  • To request that a County Building Inspector certify your compliance.
No Building Permit is required to make the following minor changes to your pool for safety:
  • Installing code-compliant door alarms.
  • Changing the direction of opening of a gate.
  • Moving a gate latch.
  • Installing (or removing) features to make your barrier non-climbable.
  • Installing features to reduce the size of openings in your barrier.
The process for obtaining a building permit, if one is needed, is as follows:
  1. Visit the Planning Department Permit Center to get an over-the-counter permit. Check in with the main information desk and wait to meet with a Planner and then a Building Tech to get your permit. Contact the Building Counter for current permit fees.
  2. Perform the work approved on your building permit.
  3. After you have completed the work, schedule an inspection.
  4. Meet the building inspector at the site with your issued building permit to conduct the inspection.
  5. If your project meets current requirements, your permit will be finaled.
  6. If your project does not meet the current requirements, a Correction Notice will be issued identifying the missing features. You will need to address the issues causing non-compliance and reschedule your final inspection.

    Keep in mind, these requirements may change from state to state or even county to county. Contact Your Permit Solution for the most up-to-date information and we'll help you get started on your in-ground pool today!

    Source: SCCO Planning

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Window and Door Replacement Permit

If you're planning to replace a window or door, there are several steps to ensure you have the necessary paperwork and permits to get the job done right!

1. Permit application, signed & notarized by the owner and contractor
2. If permit is by homeowner, submit: INSTRUCTIONS OWNER- BUILDER
3. If permit is by contractor, submit: WORKMAN’S COMP and COPY OF CONTRACT
4. Schematic layout of the house and or building showing the room names and size, showing all
new windows and doors as follows:
a) Indicate the size of the windows and or doors; indicate “2” for double window in the same
b) The product approval number of each window and / or door at their location.
c) If mullions are to be used between double windows indicate the cross section (1”x3”, 2”x4”) etc.
5. Show a front view (elevation) of each exterior wall which will have windows and, or doors replaced, show all windows and, or doors in their approximate location and the roof mean height, a note will be acceptable. Also, with floor plan showing each window numbered, a list of all windows and their height of egress window opening from interior finished floor.
6. Indicate the wind load pressures at each opening.
7. A letter of authorization from the panel manufacturer indicating the site where
the panels are to be installed and the installer authorized.
8. Shutter permit is required if the new windows and sidelights on doors are not impact resistant.
9. Any windows in habitable rooms (bedrooms) that do not have an exterior door or another egress window must meet the egress requirements of the F.B.C. Include height of opening from finished floor (Max. 44”) and minimum 5.0 sq. ft. opening (1st floor) & 5.7 sq. ft. opening (on 2nd Floor) per F.B.C. (R310.1.1)
10. Two sets of current legible Product Approval Notice of Acceptance of each window or mullion used, 11 x 17, highlight doors or windows being used
11. A statement by the owner, as follows, signed and notarized.

For more information, contact Your Permit Solution!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Utility/Storage Shed Permits

When you're building a shed outside your home, any freestanding structure over the size of 100Sq Ft will require a permit. Though this may seem unnecessary, your building will be shut down quickly if you begin without a permit in hand.

These permits are required to ensure that your structure is up to code and is being built properly and safely - to avoid injury or death due to improper construction. You also need to consider exactly where the shed will be placed. Even though you have your entire backyard to choose from, there may be specific zoning requirements that may prevent you from using a specific section of your yard.

Permits are also required to ensure that structures are only built within appropriate property lines. Even if you erect your shed one inch over your neighbor's property line, it will have to come back down until the entire structure is on your property.

For more information this and other permit types, contact us at Your Permit Solution!

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sewer Replacement Permit

Whenever an existing sewer is being replaced, you'll need a permit a for that!

Materials Needed - Only specifically approved materials can be used such as Ductile Iron, Polyethylene (PE) SDR 11 and 17, and PVC Pipe SDR 26 and 35.

Cleanouts - A cleanout for the building where the sewer is located must be placed. This is to be installed in the direction of the flow of water and must be located two feet outside of the building the sewer is to be placed near. Only approved materials can be used to build the cleanout.

Testing - A plumbing code-complying water test should be performed when work is done, to search for leaks. A low-pressure air test should also be performed.

For more information on this and other types of permits, contact us at Your Permit Solution!

Source: DalyCity

Friday, August 19, 2011

We service all of South Florida!

Let our dedicated staff at South Florida’s make your life easier. We’ve been servicing South Florida clients with all their permit expediting needs for the last 10 years. We know firsthand the difficulties of navigating through endless paperwork and bureaucracy in expediting a permit in South Florida.

Whether you live in Dade County, Broward County, or Monroe County to solve the problem for your home renovations, private property issues or business needs. It doesn’t matter how complex the matter is, we will get your permit expedited in South Florida from start to finish.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Permit Types - Roofing Permit

Roofing permits have become necessary to ensure that a suitable roof is being fitted to your home. One that will stand up to a reasonable amount of bad weather.

Permits for roofing are typically granted easily, so long as the plan for the roof is suitable and meets specific conditions for safety.

If repairs are being done to the roof, it is unlikely that a permit will be needed. Typically, permits will only be required if a change to the layout or structure of the roof is being changed. However, in some cases, having an extra layer of shingles added to the roof can require a permit.

While roofing permit requirements are usually standard, certain regulations can vary by state and proper research should be done before starting any roofing project.

For more information on this and other types of permits, contact Your Permit Solution!

Source: HomeAdditionsPlus

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Permit Types - Right-of-Way Permit

When is a permit required?

Anytime you occupy, use, or engage in any activity in a public right-of-way including:

  • Excavation in paved and unpaved areas
  • Installation of above and below ground facilities
  • Activity that obstructs or impedes traffic
When is a permit not required?
  • Maintenance activity that makes no material change to the footprint of an existing facility or structure, makes no material change to the surface or sub-surface of a right-of-way, and does not disrupt or impede traffic.
  • Work governed by a permit issued by the Department of Inspections & Permits or governed by a Public Works Agreement.
Prohibited Conduct:
  • Drainage from private property should not be discharged into a County sidewalk, roadway or roadway storm drain. This includes both sump pumps and raingutter downspouts.
  • Private irrigation systems are not permitted within County rights-of-way.
  • Private fencing is not permitted within County rights-of-way.
  • Private utilities require the grant of an easement prior to occupancy in County rights-of-way.
For more information on this any other types of permits, contact Your Permit Solution!


Monday, July 25, 2011

Plumbing Permit!

You will need a plumbing permit in order to do the following:
  • Replace water heaters and underground piping
  • Alter piping inside a wall or ceiling, or beneath a floor, and for plumbing in all new installations.
  • Emergency repair, alteration, or replacement of freeze-damaged or leaking concealed piping, if new piping exceeds 5 feet.
  • Remodel or add on to your one- or two-family dwelling when existing plumbing is to be relocated. This includes installation of building sewers, water service, and exterior rain drains.

You will NOT need a plumbing permit under the following circumstances:

  • When a property owner does "ordinary minor repairs" to plumbing systems on his or her own property, which means repair, replacement, or maintenance of existing accessible fixtures, parts, and appliances and their related water and drain attachments. Do not alter an existing plumbing system without a permit.
  • When a property owner or licensed plumber performs emergency repairs to, or replacement of, freeze-damaged or leaking concealed piping, provided new piping doesn't exceed 5 feet in length.

You can get a plumbing permit from the Building Codes Division offices or your local building department. You will have to fill out some paperwork and pay a fee, both based on your exact location.

Remember, if you are using a contractor to do the work, that person is responsible for obtaining the permit and ensuring that the required inspections are done.

Things to keep in mind:

  • A plan or blueprint is usually not required for a one- or two-family dwelling permit.
  • Fees are based on the size and complexity of the job. Some local building departments base fees on the number of fixtures to be installed or the number of feet of piping for water, sewer, or rain drains.
  • A plumbing inspector or office staff member can discuss your project with you.
  • If you have the necessary information for the proposed project, you can usually leave with your permit.
  • Plumbing permit fees are paid when the permit is issued.
For more information on this and other types of permits, visit our website!

Source: Building Codes Division

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Building Moving Permits!

Building Moving Permits are required for moving any extra-legal load which is overweight and/or oversized on a County Road. This includes:
  • Moving Equipment
  • Buildings
  • Mobile Homes
  • Other Oversize Structures
Moving permits must typically be submitted at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled shipment and in some cities, transport may only take place during certain hours of the day and on specific days of the week.

Source: SDCounty

Monday, July 11, 2011

Mobile Home Permits!

Mobile home permits are typically required for the building and/or moving of any mobile home. Here are a few things you should know about the application and process:

  • You must note the electrical company furnishing electricity to the build site.
  • If you'll be using a septic tank, your septic tank permit number must be available.
  • You must include a plot plan which displays the following:
  1. The size of the lot where you're planning to build the home.
  2. Existing buildings on the property.
  3. Additions such as porches, sheds, etc.
  4. Set-backs on home from property line.
  5. A distinction between North, South, East and West.
  6. The width and length of the home.
  7. Where the well and septic tank will be placed (if applicable).
  8. Name of highway, street, or road that runs in front, back, and side of property.
  • You must also comply with a specific checklist to ensure the building is prepared for inspection after construction is complete.
For more information on this and other types of permits, visit our website!

Source: Hamilton County Florida

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mechanical Permits!

What is a Mechanical Permit and when do you need one?

Mechanical work performed on one or two family dwellings includes work on heating, cooling, or ventilation systems, including bath vents and wood stoves requires a Mechanical Permit. Installation, alteration, or repair of gas piping between the meter and an appliance or other equipment, including all liquefied petroleum gas piping, is also considered mechanical work and will require a permit.

More specifically, a permit is required to do the following:
  • install or change any part of a heating or cooling system that must be vented into any kind of chimney, including un-vented decorative appliances
  • install a woodstove, fireplace insert, pellet stove, or related venting
  • install, alter, or repair gas piping between the meter and an appliance (indoors or outdoors)
  • install bath fans, dryer exhausts, kitchen range exhausts, and appliances that are required to be vented

A few important things to note are:

  • Plans are generally not necessary to get a permit to do mechanical work on a dwelling. However, you will be requires to describe the work you will be doing.
  • If applying for a permit to install or replace a wood stove or fireplace insert, you will be asked whether the appliance is certified to meet Department of Environmental Quality emission standards.
  • Mechanical permit fees are generally based on the number of appliances, chimneys, vents, or gas piping outlets that will be installed. Permit fees are paid when the permit is issued.

For more information about this and any other type of permit, contact Your Permit Solution!


Source: Building Codes Division

Monday, June 27, 2011

Fire Systems Permit

Anyone seeking a Fire Systems Permit must secure the typical commercial permits for construction as well as the following based on the exact project:

Fire Alarm System:
-2 Sets of Design Plans, signed/sealed if over $5,000 valuation
-2 Sets of Specifications/Technical Documents

Fire Sprinkler System:
-2 Sets of Design Plans, signed/sealed over 50 heads
-2 Sets of Hydraulic Calculations
-No permit is required for relocating up to 3 heads

Fire Suppression System
-3 Sets of Design Plans, signed/sealed for over $5,000 valuation
-3 Sets of Specifications/Technical Documents

Exhaust Hoods:
-2 Sets of Design Plans, (pre-engineered) not signed/sealed
-2 Sets of Specifications/Technical Documents (pre-engineered)
-2 Sets of Construction Plans (Site Built) signed/sealed

Standpipe System:
-2 Sets of Design Plans, signed/sealed for over $5,000 valuation
-2 Sets of Hydraulic Calculations

Fire Pump:
-2 Sets of Design Plans, signed/sealed for over $5,000 valuation
-2 Sets of Hydraulic Calculations

Fire Protection System Demolition:
-2 Letters of Intent (all removals/disconnects)
-Scope of Work Statement

Paint Spray Booth
-2 Sets of Design Plans, (pre-engineered) not signed/sealed
-2 Sets of Specifications/Technical Documents (pre-engineered)
-2 Sets of Construction Plans (Site Built) signed/sealed

Tank Installations - Any Type:
-2 Sets of Design Plans, (pre-engineered) not signed/sealed
-2 Sets of Specifications/Technical Documents (pre-engineered)
-2 Sets of Construction Plans (Site Built) signed/sealed

Tank Removal - Any Type:
-2 Sets of Site Plans
-2 Letters of Intent
-Scope of Work Statement

For more information on this and all other permits you might need, contact us at Your Permit Solution!

Source: City of Melbourne

Monday, June 20, 2011

Permit Types - Floodplain Development Permit

Floodplain Development Permit

1) When is a Floodplain Development Permit Required?

A floodplain development permit is required for all development‐related changes on a property located in the A and V zones of the Town's FEMA Flood Map, that will alter the drainage characteristics of a property affect any equipment servicing the property, or that constitutes a “Substantial Improvement” under Town Ordinance and FEMA Regulations.

This includes but is not limited to:
‐ Construction of new structures
‐ Modifications or improvements to existing structures.
‐ Site Work that will alter the property’s drainage including: Excavation, Filling, Paving, Drilling, Driving of piles, Dredging, Land clearing, Grading, Landscape Improvements, Permanent storage of materials.
‐ Equipment upgrades or additions (A/C units and Generators).
‐ Vertical Additions or Improvements that are a “Substantial Improvement” per Ordinance and FEMA definitions.

2) Can I submit for my Floodplain Development Permit (FDP) at the same time as my Building Permit?

Yes – A Floodplain Development Permit is an additional permit that is required along with the Master Permit for the work being done. It is like any other Sub‐Permit.

3) What happens if my Floodplain Permit is not approved?

If Your FDP is not approved you will need to submit all items requested for review and they must be correct and current.

4) Why is the Town requiring these permits ?

For many years the Town has participated in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and the Community Rating System (CRS) program by the Insurance Services Office (ISO). These programs require a substantial amount of work to maintain the discounts our citizens receive on their flood insurance policies. The fees collected will help to defray the cost of the Town’s participation in these programs. In addition it will insure that the Town’s Floodplain Development ordinance is enforced correctly.

5) What Inspections are required for this permit?

There are three inspections required for this permit. They are: 1) Site Inspection, 2) Ground Rough Inspection ‐ before the slab pour, 3) Final Inspection.

6) Who can be issued a Floodplain Development Permit?

The Floodplain development Permit will be issued to the contractor who is issued the Primary permit for the work being performed at a location.

7) Can I submit “Revisions” to my Floodplain Permit once it is issued?

Yes – This is like any other permit issued by the Town. If there are changes that need to be made a revision is required and may be submitted.

For more information on this and other types of permits, contact Your Permit Solution!

Source: Town of Palm Beach

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Fence and Retaining Wall Permit

If you're thinking of adding a fence or retaining wall to your residential or commercial property, here are few things you should know!

1. A Plot Plan must be submitted - showing an accurate drawing for the size, shape and dimensions of the lot that the fence or wall will be built on. Be sure to indicate where the fence/wall is to be located.
  • Two copies are required for residential fencing
  • Three copies are required for retaining or rockery walls
  • Five copies are required for commercial fencing
  • Height of the fence/wall and materials must be included in the plan
2. If an Architectural Committee is present in the area, approval is required in the form of a written report prior to plans being submitted to the building department.

3. Exemptions
  • Fences used for landscaping that are less than 30" in height are exempt from a building permit if not located within the sight triangle.
  • You may replace up to 100 linear feet of fence boards from damaged fence without a building permit. It must be similar fencing and in the exact same location.
  • If your lot includes more than one acre of land, the Development Code allows agricultural uses of the land and if you use strictly range fencing (t-bar and wire only), you DO NOT need a fence permit. If, however, you use wood or any other type of materials, you are then required to obtain a building permit.
For more information on Fence and Retaining Wall Permits, contact Your Permit Solution!

Monday, June 6, 2011

Permit Types - Elevator Permit

Elevator Permits

Florida law requires every registered elevator company to have a permit issued by the Bureau of Elevator Safety before installing, altering, or relocating any type of vertical conveyance licensed by the bureau.

Before an elevator permit can be issued, the registered Elevator Company doing the installation must do the following:

1. The company must obtain and review the construction plans for compliance with Florida law. These do not have to be turned in to the bureau but the company will be required to affirm that the plans they are using are in compliance.

2. The company must obtain the appropriate application form. If multiple conveyances (elevators, etc) are being installed, separate forms are required for each.

3. The Affidavit of Elevator Code Compliance must be obtained and completed. This form must be signed by a qualified agent of the elevator company doing the installation.

4. All required documentation and fees must be submitted to the appropriate department.

5. Once construction is completed, the conveyance must pass an inspection prior to beginning use.

For more information on this and other types of permits, contact Your Permit Solution!

Source: Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Permit Types - Electrical Permit

Electrical Permit

An electrical permit is required to do the following:
  • install or alter any permanent wiring or electrical device
  • run additional wiring, put in an electrical outlet or light fixture, install a receptacle for a garage-door opener, or convert from fuse box to circuit breakers
  • install or alter low-voltage systems such as security alarms or stereo or computer systems
For homeowners, a permit is not required to replace electrical devices or to perform the maintenance on an existing electrical installation.

If you are not sure if you need a permit, call the building department responsible for your area.

Permits are issued by Building Codes Division (BCD) field offices or your local building department, depending on the jurisdiction responsible for your area.

  • Drawn plans are not necessary to get a permit to do residential electrical work.
  • Drawn plans are not necessary to get a permit to perform residential electrical work, unless the service involves 400 amps or greater. Some building departments require a plan review for service over 400 amps.
  • An electrical inspector or office staff member can help you make sure you have all the necessary information for the proposed project. If everything is in order, you can usually leave with your permit.
  • Electrical permit fees are paid when the permit is issued.
Any work performed under a permit must be inspected by a certified electrical inspector. You may call the inspection request line at the building department in your area within 24 hours of completion of any phase of the project. A minimum of 24-hours' notice is usually required for inspections.

When you call, you will be asked for the permit number, homeowner's name, project address, type of inspection needed, and date on which the inspection is desired. Be prepared to furnish detailed directions to the job site and a detailed description of the electrical work performed.
Unless all of the work is outside and accessible, an adult needs to be at the site to provide access for the inspector.

For more information on how to acquire an electrical permit, call Your Permit Solution!

Source: Permits Protect

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Permit Types - Demolition Permit

A demolition permit is an official document from a regional government agency which allows someone to demolish a structure and clear the debris from the lot the structure is located on.

People must usually apply for demolition permits when they want to completely raze a structure, or demolish a significant portion of a structure which will be left standing. These permits are usually issued by building or planning departments.

There are several reasons why a demolition permit is usually required:

1. Safety - Buildings should only be torn down by skilled and licensed professionals, ensuring that all necessary safety precautions are taken.

2. Hazardous Materials - Asbestos and fallen debris are major concerns during demolitions.

3. Proper Clean-up - All debris and fallen materials should be cleaned up quickly and efficiently.

People applying for these types of permits must declare the company and procedure that will be used, and they must demonstrate that utilities to the building have been turned off and capped, and that there is a plan in place for handling hazardous materials.

Since demolition usually generates a substantial pile of debris, many people must also apply for an obstruction permit which will allow them to place dumpsters near the site, and to block the sidewalk or street temporarily to keep people safe from falling debris.

Fees for demolition and obstruction permits are usually separate, and it is a good idea to apply for both at the same time.

The demolition company may agree to handle the demolition permit application as part of the services they provide but the property owner remains responsible for confirming that a demolition permit has been obtained before any work can begin.

Demolition permits are also a matter of public record, and property owners may want to be aware that applications can often be contested by people who oppose the demolition for various reasons, ranging from a desire to preserve historic property to concerns from others in the neighborhood.

For more information on this any any other type of permit, contact Your Permit Solution!

Source: wiseGEEK

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Be Wary of Asbestos

In general, asbestos refers to the naturally hydrated silicas which are found in rocks of two mineral groups:

-Serpentine, or white asbestos which accounts for 95% of the asbestos utilized in the US.
-Amphibole, which includes brown and blue asbestos.

Asbestos fibers are noncombustible, resistant to corrosion and degradation, have relatively high tensile strength, are chemically and thermally stable, and have low thermal and electrical conductivities. These properties make the fibers desirable for use in the manufacture of many industrial and commercial products. It has been estimated that asbestos fibers have been used in over 2,000 products.

Asbestos use in the United States has declined steadily over the past several years due to the ban that was imposed in 1975.

Renovations and demolitions of facilities that may have asbestos are required to submit a Notice of Demolition or Asbestos Renovation form. Contact Your Permit Solution for more information on obtaining the necessary permits.

Impacts of Asbestos

Asbestos is a known human carcinogen and has been known to cause lung cancer, mesothelioma (a rare form of chest and abdominal cancer) and asbestosis which is an irreversible, non-cancerous respiratory disease characterized by scarring of lung tissue.

The chances of contracting these diseased is increased significantly in smokers. To date there is no scientific evidence that asbestos is harmful when in contact with human skin.

The presence of asbestos in a building does not necessarily mean that the health of its occupants is endangered. Exposure is unlikely as long as the Asbestos-Containing Material (ACM) remains intact and undisturbed. Potential exposure to asbestos occurs when building maintenance, repairs, renovations or other activities disturb or damage the ACM, causing a release of asbestos fibers.

If you've got construction coming up and have concerns about asbestos in your building, contact Your Permit Solution today for help!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Client Testimonials!

Your Permit Solution owner Frenchy Roy [Roy, Inc.], takes a personal interest in his services and customers at, and strives to give them outstanding service, often going beyond what is expected to produce client satisfaction. As claimed by a happy customer from Miami, Florida:
"Roy provided excellent service at an affordable rate, in very little time. He was also very helpful and went above and beyond what he needed to do to get the job done."

Open permits are often a problem for Florida realtors. When homes need to go onto the market, permit issues must be settled fast so that no interruption in the sales process occurs. Settling permit issues quickly is often impossible due to busy schedules, or due to a lack of understanding in how the permit process works. has worked with real estate agents in the past, with satisfied customer results!

Check out these testimonials below:

"I have found Roy to be the best solution to my permit violation headache. I recommend him without any hesitation." - V de la Vega, Kendall, Miami, Florida

"As a realtor in South Florida open permits are constant problem. Frenchy Roy has come to the rescue for me time after time. I highly recommend his services and professionalism. Count it done with Frenchy!"
- Adam L. Pinecrest, FL

To submit a testimonial of your own or to get answers to your permit questions, contact us today!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Know The Rules Before You Start!

When doing construction on your own, it is important to know the rules. Should you get a Stop Work Order, the following information will help you plan your next move:

When a Notice of Violation/Stop Work Order is issued, the Chief Code Compliance Inspector will make a determination regarding the number of days that the owner of the property will be given to comply.

• Violations that are issued for unsafe structures will be given a period of two (2) or three (3) days to secure the structure. If the owner has not complied within the allotted time given, the city will proceed to secure the property and all charges incurred by the City will be assessed to the property owner as lien.

• Violations for Stop Work Orders or Notice of Violation that require the owner to obtain a permit will be given a period of 30 days to start the permitting process.

• Permits obtained to comply with a violation must receive an approved final inspection in order to close the violation.

The process that the owner of the property will need to follow in order to bring the violation into compliance is written within the violation that has been issued. The Owner of the property can also call 305-673-7610, ext. 6045, 6801, or 2555 and discuss their violation with the Violations Office.

If it is determined that the number of days given to comply is not a sufficient amount of time, an extension of time can be requested by the violator before the compliance date. The request must be made in writing, via mail, or in person, the request must also be made prior to the compliance date.

Your Permit Solution will help you through any project from start to finish. If you find yourself in this situation in the middle of your project, call us and we'll be right there to help!

Source: City of Miami

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Photos from Hollywood's Expo Alfresco

We had a GREAT time at Hollywood's Expo Alfresco on April 13. Thank you to our friends at Benchmark Contracting for sharing a booth with us!

The man himself, Frenchy:

If you didn't come see us you missed out on some pretty cool shirts!

No booth is ever complete without a megaphone!

Thank you to everyone at the Greater Hollywood Chamber of Commerce for putting together this event!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Your Permit Solution at Expo Alfresco

Come check out Your Permit Solution at Hollywood's Expo Alfresco! We are excited to be exhibiting with our friends at Benchmark Contracting!

This event has great food, great wine, live music and tons of things to do! See you there!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

City of Miami Permit FAQs

The city of Miami has an excellent guide to some of the most frequently asked questions about permits. Permits are important, but they do take time and resources. We at Your Permit Solution can help by taking over the entire process. We offer a no-stress, worry free process!

Why do I need a permit?

It is not only the law to obtain a permit, but a permit ensures that the plans are drawn and the structure constructed in accordance with the Florida Building Code, and all other applicable codes and ordinances, thereby protecting the welfare of life and property.

What types of work needs a Building Permit?

Section 105.1 of the Florida Building Code states:

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any required impact-resistant coverings, electrical, gas mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permits.

Who may obtain the permit?

Licensed Contractors or qualified homeowners, as long as they meet all of the requirements listed below

What are the requirements for owner builders?


1. The owner must prove to the Building Official, or a designee, that he has the knowledge and ability to do the work. Test will be administered.

2. Proof of ownership (warranty deed, closing statement, or Miami-Dade County tax Bill).

3. An owner may apply for a permit, supervise and do the work in connection with the construction, maintenance, repair, alteration, and addition to a single-family or duplex residence for his own use, occupancy, and not intended for sale.

4. No more than one (1) permit shall be issued to an owner for the construction of a new single-family or duplex residence in any twenty-four (24) month period. Permits for alterations and additions, or plumbing, electrical, mechanical, or gas installations shall be issued only in connection with one single-family or duplex residence in any twenty-four (24) month period, although more than one permit may be issued for such work on the same single-family or duplex residence during that period.

5. The owner must come in person between the hours 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM for review of permit documents and application.

6. The permit application and affidavit must be signed and notarized.

7. If there is a violation on the property:

a. No building permit will be issued to a homeowner to cover illegal work.
b. The work must be done by a general contractor or a specialty contractor licensed to do the work.
c. Permits for all work must be obtained ( i.e. Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, etc.).
d. An architect’s or engineer’s report may be required, certifying that the work was done in accordance with the applicable code, and general construction practices as a substitute for required inspections.

What makes up a complete application?

1. For most scopes of works, a completed building permit application and 2 sets of plans.

How long does it take to get a permit?

The time to get a permit issued varies. Some permits can be issued the same day, over-the-counter and others require that the plans be left for review.

What is an inspection card?

An inspection card is issued at the time a permit is issued. The card details the inspections required and by which divisions and/or departments. The card is signed by each inspector conducting an inspection. Once completely signed, it becomes an official record.

What is an inspection?

The inspection card will list all inspections required for a particular job. Inspections are performed by the City inspectors at various intervals. It is the responsibility of the contractor/ owner to call for the inspections. The permit and the top portion of the permit inspection card must be displayed on the job site. In order to avoid a re-inspection fee, make sure that the site is ready to be inspected, all required documents available and access to the inspection site.

What if I have a permit and do not call for inspections?

Permits expire after 180 days if no required inspections have been approved. In order for a project to be complete, it must pass final inspections. In some cases, a Certificate of Completion or a Certificate of Occupancy may also be required. If a permit expires before final inspections, it becomes null and void, and the project is in violation of the Code. If this is your case, please call our office, we’ll help you activate the permit or apply for a completion permit with as little inconvenience as possible. Our interest is in seeing the project completed, including all final inspections and the protection of life and property.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Why and When You Need A Permit

A permit protects the homeowner and the future occupants. If a professional suggests that you do not need one, check with the building department yourself, as this suggestion is usually a red flag that your contractor or architect are trying to cut corners.

It is always to your advantage to get a permit. A permit ensures oversight of the work. The scrutiny of an inspector can guard against mistakes and shoddy workmanship and ensure that the work adheres to building codes.

A permit will also help you avoid headaches in the future. If building officials discover you have done work without a permit, you could be required to dismantle your remodel and start over again. If you sell your house, you might be legally obligated to disclose that you have remodeled without a permit, and the buyer could demand that you bring work up to code.

Some things you need a permit for:

Change the footprint of your house
Replace an electric stove with a natural-gas model
Move a load-bearing wall
Install new electrical wiring
Create a new door or window opening
Move a sink

source: Home Tips

Monday, February 28, 2011

Code Violation in Miami

I was recently hired to assist a client who had a shed built on their property over 10 years ago but never pulled the permits from Miami Dade County Building Department. The Miami Dade Code Enforcement Department upon surveying the area or through an anonymous call triggered a warning to our client because the permits were never pulled to install the shed in their South Florida home. My client was assessed a $510.00 permit violation based on the illegal shed and really needed the help to sift through the complicated process and system, therefore I got to work!

Based on my extensive experience with Shed violations in Miami Dade County, I know the first and most important thing to do is address the issue and look into the details with the county. I immediately followed up with getting and survey and the zoning details so the compliance work can be submitted. This process can be long and drawn out and the amount of work needed to process this violation is extensive. Needless to say, I was able to get the paper work in place, contact the required people to help in the process and the code violation was closed and resolved.

This violation is very typical in my line of business, for over 8 years our company, Your Permit Solution, has assisted hundreds of residents and business owners with their permit violation, if you or someone you know has received a permit violation and or is frustrated in resolving a permit Violation for their shed or an addition to to their home, please contact me at 1-800-9730023 ext. 0 or visit our site at