Sunday, June 12, 2011

Fence and Retaining Wall Permit

If you're thinking of adding a fence or retaining wall to your residential or commercial property, here are few things you should know!

1. A Plot Plan must be submitted - showing an accurate drawing for the size, shape and dimensions of the lot that the fence or wall will be built on. Be sure to indicate where the fence/wall is to be located.
  • Two copies are required for residential fencing
  • Three copies are required for retaining or rockery walls
  • Five copies are required for commercial fencing
  • Height of the fence/wall and materials must be included in the plan
2. If an Architectural Committee is present in the area, approval is required in the form of a written report prior to plans being submitted to the building department.

3. Exemptions
  • Fences used for landscaping that are less than 30" in height are exempt from a building permit if not located within the sight triangle.
  • You may replace up to 100 linear feet of fence boards from damaged fence without a building permit. It must be similar fencing and in the exact same location.
  • If your lot includes more than one acre of land, the Development Code allows agricultural uses of the land and if you use strictly range fencing (t-bar and wire only), you DO NOT need a fence permit. If, however, you use wood or any other type of materials, you are then required to obtain a building permit.
For more information on Fence and Retaining Wall Permits, contact Your Permit Solution!


  1. A high quality fence is a good way to make your property more secure, more private, and even increase the value of your home.

    Fences Toronto

  2. Composite decking is not structural material--so the rails will have to be made from something else.
    wood fence