Thursday, April 11, 2013
A blow up kid's splash pool does not need a permit.
A swimming pool (above ground or below) will require a permit.
A swing set will most likely not require a permit, though it may.
A full play land will most likely require a permit. Also, you need your HOA's approval.
When in doubt, your city's Building Department is happy to answer a question. It is better to ask first than pay fees from skipping the permit process altogether.
Friday, March 15, 2013
"Weathering" is a general term used to describe the effects on shingles of long-term exposure to the elements.
Weathered shingles aren’t necessarily damaged shingles, although weathering will eventually damage shingles. Weathering is a natural process that causes shingles to deteriorate over time. The rate at which shingles weather can be affected by a number of things.
Low-quality shingles will fail before high-quality shingles. Quality can vary widely among manufacturers, and even within a single manufacturer’s product line.
South-facing roof slopes have shorter lifespans due to increased thermal cycling and UV exposure. Some portions of the roof are affected by prevailing winds more than others.
Degree of Roof Slope
Flatter roofs have shorter lifespans because they shed moisture more slowly and are more directly exposed to UV radiation than roofs with steeper pitches.
Harsh climates shorten roof lifespans. Wind, moisture and thermal cycling all contribute to deterioration of roofing materials.
Climates with large daily temperature swings shorten roof lifespans because they cause greater amounts of expansion and contraction. This increases the roof's rate of deterioration.
Darker roofs absorb more heat, which shortens shingle lifespan by accelerating the loss of volatiles and increasing thermal cycling.
Homes at higher elevations are exposed to more UV radiation, which deteriorates most roof-covering materials, including asphalt shingles.
Roof Structure Ventilation
Poor ventilation of the roof structure shortens shingle lifespan by failing to keep shingles cool, resulting in accelerated loss of volatiles and greater amounts of thermal cycling.
Quality of Maintenance
Failure to repair damage and keep roofs clean can result in damage and deterioration from moisture intrusion and wind.
Source: National Association of Certified Inspectors
Friday, February 22, 2013
Imagine it is 1am and your water heater pipe bursts, causing water to spray all over your garage, making a mess, and generally upsetting everyone who is now awake.
Before you call any plumber out of the phone book, check their reputation online (it's an extra 5 minutes to visit the BBB) and ask about permits when you call. You want them there immediately; I understand. But this extra question on the phone of, "Are you going to pull a permit for this work and will I get a copy of the final?" could save you hundreds of dollars down the road if the work was improperly done.
Thursday, February 7, 2013
Ideal For: Local business owner's or architect's with one or two projects. We help get all their permits for their local locations.
We will conduct:
- Due Diligence: We will research all requirements, time frames, fees and approvals needed for you to understand what must be done then coordinate with your architect or construction manager a permit plan to get your permits in the quickest time possible.
- Submit: We will attend plan check, fill out all paperwork, manage your receipts and payments to the local jurisdiction, negotiate with the city or county on your behalf and manage your corrections as a member of the development team.
- Get Project Ready To Issue: After all the corrections have been made, we will reapply and then fight to get everything ready to issue.
Source: Permit Place
Friday, January 11, 2013
Estimate your permit fees to be 3-5% of the cost of your project, or as much as 10% in Key Biscayne and Weston. There are a few municipalities that have held their permit fees at pre-recession levels but they are few and far between.
Please continue to use the proper permitting process and don't skip doing work under permit as it protects you from fees of up to 150% after the fact, and ensures the work was done properly and will last you a long time.
Friday, January 4, 2013
- We complete all the required forms
- Ttrack & monitor the plans as they are approved, ready for inspection, fail and need reapproval
- Submit plans to T.C.O/C.O of the property
Your Permit Solution.com enables clients to avoid the costs and headaches that could stem from acquiring a property plagued by hidden problems!
Wednesday, December 19, 2012
Yes, you will need permits for this project.
Some things to look out for:
- Relocating your dryer will require moving the vent for proper air quality.
- It will likely also cause you to upgrade the electrical outlet in the new location, and possibly at the breaker box.
- Relocating your washer will require you to run sufficient plumbing to the new area and cap off the existing pipes.
- You will also need to be sure the flooring is secure in the new area, as these are heavy pieces of equipment, especially when full of water.
- You will also need a proper air vent in the room to remove humidity that can cause mold to grow in the walls or ceiling.