Monday, July 25, 2011

Plumbing Permit!

You will need a plumbing permit in order to do the following:
  • Replace water heaters and underground piping
  • Alter piping inside a wall or ceiling, or beneath a floor, and for plumbing in all new installations.
  • Emergency repair, alteration, or replacement of freeze-damaged or leaking concealed piping, if new piping exceeds 5 feet.
  • Remodel or add on to your one- or two-family dwelling when existing plumbing is to be relocated. This includes installation of building sewers, water service, and exterior rain drains.

You will NOT need a plumbing permit under the following circumstances:

  • When a property owner does "ordinary minor repairs" to plumbing systems on his or her own property, which means repair, replacement, or maintenance of existing accessible fixtures, parts, and appliances and their related water and drain attachments. Do not alter an existing plumbing system without a permit.
  • When a property owner or licensed plumber performs emergency repairs to, or replacement of, freeze-damaged or leaking concealed piping, provided new piping doesn't exceed 5 feet in length.

You can get a plumbing permit from the Building Codes Division offices or your local building department. You will have to fill out some paperwork and pay a fee, both based on your exact location.

Remember, if you are using a contractor to do the work, that person is responsible for obtaining the permit and ensuring that the required inspections are done.

Things to keep in mind:

  • A plan or blueprint is usually not required for a one- or two-family dwelling permit.
  • Fees are based on the size and complexity of the job. Some local building departments base fees on the number of fixtures to be installed or the number of feet of piping for water, sewer, or rain drains.
  • A plumbing inspector or office staff member can discuss your project with you.
  • If you have the necessary information for the proposed project, you can usually leave with your permit.
  • Plumbing permit fees are paid when the permit is issued.
For more information on this and other types of permits, visit our website!

Source: Building Codes Division

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Building Moving Permits!

Building Moving Permits are required for moving any extra-legal load which is overweight and/or oversized on a County Road. This includes:
  • Moving Equipment
  • Buildings
  • Mobile Homes
  • Other Oversize Structures
Moving permits must typically be submitted at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled shipment and in some cities, transport may only take place during certain hours of the day and on specific days of the week.

Source: SDCounty

Monday, July 11, 2011

Mobile Home Permits!

Mobile home permits are typically required for the building and/or moving of any mobile home. Here are a few things you should know about the application and process:

  • You must note the electrical company furnishing electricity to the build site.
  • If you'll be using a septic tank, your septic tank permit number must be available.
  • You must include a plot plan which displays the following:
  1. The size of the lot where you're planning to build the home.
  2. Existing buildings on the property.
  3. Additions such as porches, sheds, etc.
  4. Set-backs on home from property line.
  5. A distinction between North, South, East and West.
  6. The width and length of the home.
  7. Where the well and septic tank will be placed (if applicable).
  8. Name of highway, street, or road that runs in front, back, and side of property.
  • You must also comply with a specific checklist to ensure the building is prepared for inspection after construction is complete.
For more information on this and other types of permits, visit our website!

Source: Hamilton County Florida

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mechanical Permits!

What is a Mechanical Permit and when do you need one?

Mechanical work performed on one or two family dwellings includes work on heating, cooling, or ventilation systems, including bath vents and wood stoves requires a Mechanical Permit. Installation, alteration, or repair of gas piping between the meter and an appliance or other equipment, including all liquefied petroleum gas piping, is also considered mechanical work and will require a permit.

More specifically, a permit is required to do the following:
  • install or change any part of a heating or cooling system that must be vented into any kind of chimney, including un-vented decorative appliances
  • install a woodstove, fireplace insert, pellet stove, or related venting
  • install, alter, or repair gas piping between the meter and an appliance (indoors or outdoors)
  • install bath fans, dryer exhausts, kitchen range exhausts, and appliances that are required to be vented

A few important things to note are:

  • Plans are generally not necessary to get a permit to do mechanical work on a dwelling. However, you will be requires to describe the work you will be doing.
  • If applying for a permit to install or replace a wood stove or fireplace insert, you will be asked whether the appliance is certified to meet Department of Environmental Quality emission standards.
  • Mechanical permit fees are generally based on the number of appliances, chimneys, vents, or gas piping outlets that will be installed. Permit fees are paid when the permit is issued.

For more information about this and any other type of permit, contact Your Permit Solution!


Source: Building Codes Division