You May Not Need a Permit for:
- Laying in a new roof.
- Parking your roll-off dumpster on your own property (however, if you happen to live in an association-controlled neighborhood, make sure you do not run afoul of your own housing association's rules).
- Putting in hardwood floor.
- Installing carpeting.
- Replacing doors or windows on a one-for-one basis.
- Upgrading your countertops.
- Freshing up the exterior with new siding.
- Minor electrical work, such as replacing an electrical outlet.
Source: About Home Renovations